Saturday, May 26, 2012

An Answered Prayer for My Little Boy

On Thursday the kids and I had plans to go have a picnic at a park with some friends.  It had been raining ALL week and we were all looking forward to getting out of the house.  Caleb has met a new little friend here and they are two peas in a pod... he gets really excited about getting to play with Maggie so he was especially excited about our plans.  It wasn't supposed to rain Thursday morning so we all got ready, packed our picnic lunches and waited for our friends to come over so we could follow each other out to the park.  As soon as they pulled up, it started to drizzle outside.  Sigh... so I told Caleb that we might have to change our plans if it was raining.  He was pretty sad.  I talked to Kristin and we decided we would just start driving and see what the weather did.  Well... as we started driving it started raining more.  

Caleb was getting a little distraught in the backseat as I was trying to explain to him that it wouldn't be fun to play at the park if it was raining.  I told him we could say a prayer and ask God to make it stop raining so we could go have fun with our friends.  He thought that sounded good, so Caleb and I prayed together in the car while we were driving and asked the Lord to please help it stop raining.  Within 30 seconds of Caleb's little "amen" the rain stopped.  I didn't say anything at first because I didn't know if it was going to start back up and I didn't want to get his hopes up, but the rain had really stopped!  Caleb noticed and was really excited.  He said, "God's answer was yes!  He made it stop raining, Mom!"  I was so happy for my sweet boy.  We prayed again and thanked God for making it stop raining.  

It was such a precious moment for a couple reasons... 1) It reminded me that God cares about even the smallest of things 2) He hears our prayers (I had been feeling discouraged over the two previous days) and most importantly 3) It was absolutely amazing to see God pursuing my little boy's heart.  He was revealing Himself to Caleb... teaching him about His faithfulness, about His love in such a personal way.  Wow... such a little thing, but such a huge moment at the same time.  It was such a good lesson for me, too as a Mom, to see how God chooses to speak to Caleb.  He speaks his language. :)  I need to be reminded of that often.  I need to remember to teach Caleb about big things using the little things.

When we got to the park, we were sitting on the blanket enjoying our picnic and Caleb says to Maggie, "God made it stop raining for us!" I wish I was that enthusiastic and excited to share the ways that God speaks to me and answers my prayers.  What an example set to me by my three year old.

We were packing up to leave and heading to the car after a good two/three hours at the park when it started to sprinkle again.  I was thinking that sure was good timing... then as soon as we got to the car, I lifted the boys into the van and the sky opened up and it started down pouring!  The boys were giggling about Mommy getting soaked while trying to buckle in Anna Grace, then running around the car trying to get them in their seats.  I got in the car completely drenched and thought to myself, that was God's timing.  We talked on the way home about how God allowed it to stay dry for us the whole time we were at the park and didn't let it rain again until we got in the car to leave.  It was such a reminder that it was God at work... not coincidence that it stopped raining for my little boy.  We truly serve such an amazing God who is so huge yet cares about things so small.  Caleb may not remember this a week from now... but I know that God will continue to pursue that little boy all the days of his life.  Despite our shortcomings and sinful nature, the God that created us loves us in such a unique and personal way.  What a blessing to get to witness that display of love from God to my son.  

So... on a completely different note... Anna Grace ate her first "big girl" dinner tonight!  This is always exciting for me because I'm really not a fan of baby food.  I mean... it's great and all, but if I prepare healthy food, it's so much easier to just feed her what we eat!  With Caleb, I made my own baby food, but let's be realistic.  I just don't have time for that anymore. :)  She had eggs a couple times last week and has had cheese a few times, but tonight she ate chicken parmigiana, green beans and a little bit of pasta.  She also really loves feeding herself so this is a win-win situation.  She fusses and fusses when we feed her with a spoon, but dump some food on her tray and she's as happy as can be!  Here's a picture of our big girl eating her dinner.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing such a tender story. I'm so happy to hear how God is working in your lives. I pray that for all our grand kids while I run and throughout the day. You are absolutely right on about using little things to teach big things and how easy it is to miss opportunities to praise how God works in our lives. Yeah for Anna Grace! She is adorable! Can't wait for my visit . Love you all and I'm praying. Thanks for the encouraging post. I needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really loved this post, Jamie! Wow, "out of the mouths of babes.." So awesome how God speaks through child-like FAITH! I needed that reminder today that God hears my prayers and He is answering them - in His way and timing. Thank you for sharing this and that SWEET pic of Anna Grace - love you!

    ReplyDelete